Monday, July 21, 2008

Photos from Honduras



In January I went to Guaimaca, Honduras....
I need to go back soon because I left my heart behind.

*
THE CONVENT/GIRLS' SCHOOL

*I may not have been attentive on the convent tour....

*I may even have been a bad example to the other students...


*Okay, I wasn't really helpful.... union break


*My job was literally to move clumps of dirt from point A to point B
*Me and Mohamed fighting as Darth Maul

*
*
LIFE IN THE SANTA ROSA DE LIMA MISSION


*Honduran Coooffeee!
*Father Craig, Sister Marta and Sister Maria



*Our bunks like Madeline (12 women in all in that room--us and 4 nurses)
*Mmm..... more Honduran coffee


*Our little yellow school bus

*
*
MISSION FARM


*Sweaty and gross but exhilarated from picking cucumbers
*Ox Cart ride at farm


*Mary was the mission cook, she also helped at the farm that day
*Yippee! Riding in the back of the pickup--my favorite thing!



*
*
EVERY DAY LIFE IN GUAIMACA


*Feeling rich as I fan my hundreds of limpera, but the Honduran economy is so bad it took almost 19 limpera to make one American dollar. So my thousand limpera was only about $55.oo


*Shopping at a market. Those potatoes were gross!
*Guaimacan "Gap" I got a skirt there for $3



*View from the convent, typical yard
*Bodega--seemed like everyone had a store in their home



*The mission had a flush toilet but that was a luxury. Most homes and churches have outhouses.


*Outdoor shower. No indoor plumbing.
*Growing and roasting coffee was as common as a garden.



*Self portrait while riding in back of a truck
*The BSC group walking from convent to mission



*Typical stove and oven (that's Olga)
*Yard of one of our new friends
This particular home is considered "well off"


*Cows have the right of way
*Me and Beth being "King of the World"in a pickup bed



*How many Hondurans can you fit it a pickup?

*Guaimaca has two paved road that intersect and no

working street light. This is sunset over the wires--
pole on the left makes me think of Christ on His Cross


*
*
ANIMAL PROBLEM








*Rare pet animals. All over Guaimaca there were hundreds and hundreds of scrawny street dogs. Basically what squirrels are to us. I came across three "pet" puppies and a handful of kept guard dogs, the rest roamed hungry and procreating. Even the pets are scrawny. The sleeping dog pictured is the nuns' pet Flaco (means Skinny).

*Cats were not so abundant. Between the starving dogs and the often equally starving people, cats are usually dined upon. I looked high and low for cats and kittens and only saw 12 the whole time. One of which was tied up in a home to fatten it like a calf, it was so sad.

*
*
SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL



*One morning was spent delivering food for Saint Vincent de Paul. We brought some rice, powdered milk and cucumbers to the poorest of the poor and they were thrilled.


*Alas, childhood illnesses that are easily remedied in the U.S. become life long debilitations in Honduras

*
*
ESKIMO!



*We ate...er, I ate... far too much delicious ice cream. I love you Eskimo Man!


*Some local kids out for ice cream with us

*
*
SOCCER



*We were foolish enough to challenge the young people from the church to a soccer game-- they slaughtered us!

*
*
DEVOTION OF THE PEOPLE


*These photos can't begin to do justice to the steepness of the mountain hills the villagers would walk miles in when they had the opportunity to attend Mass-- small children and the elderly included.


*We look down on our trucks because I had the brilliant idea of walking part way home so we could have the experience the people do. Man were our legs and lungs sore. That's me crossing a mountain stream.


*Musicians at San Bartolome, at Masses EVERYONE sings and the sign of peace is an experience


*This church was made possible because of the donations of money as well as pews, etc. by American parishes



*Looking down upon the two room, cinder block school that becomes a church when Padre Craig comes
*Father and daughter in their Sunday best



*After Mass everyone sings a few more songs, then Father Craig chats with the villagers as a group.
*Outside they commune even longer. Villages only have Mass about once a month, so they hate to say goodbye to him.




*I kept calling this chapel "the castle". After driving an hour or so up hill we parked the truck and walked up a hill too it.
*Bottom pic is the view of the horizon from the altar that morning. No mortal artist could create that.



*
*
ADIOS


Father Craig & Mary say goodbye to us on the bus. Mary sand De Colores and made herself and us cry
*Coffee was about $3.50 (American) a pound so I filled a suitcase. I looked like a drug dealer.


*
*
INCREDIBLE BEAUTY



*Just some beautiful shots of that incredibly gorgeous country.... all gifts of God...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maura,

While I should be getting out the trash and recyclables and getting on with my day, I wanted to quickly check out your Honduras pics. They are truly compelling. I am so impressed by those, like you, who are ready, willing and able to take such action as a mission trip to help those in need in another part of the world (as well as in our own country). It is humbling, to say the least, to even begin to imagine the experience which you so willingly embraced. I just know that your smile and your kind deeds helped to give those in such need a glimmer of hope.

I'll be sure to be in touch when I start planning my monthly donation drives, hoping to provide needed things directly to those in need, from our local community to our global community.

Thanks for sharing the pics on your blog...And, for the work you did while in Honduras. And, yes, the coffee looks like some serious smuggling activity!

xoxo, Nancy